Before You Build

It is a good idea to call 811 to have all underground utilities, pipes and wires located before you start to dig. They require 48 hours notice. If you accidently destroy any utility lines you would be liable for any damage that results.

Before beginning on a new job site or having an electrical service relocated or changed, please contact the Utility Department at 252.399.2424 to have the proposed location of the electrical services spotted. Failure to do this may result in incurring charges or having to relocate equipment that has already been installed.

State law requires that an erosion control plan for land disturbing activities greater that one acre be filed with the state at least 30 days prior to beginning activity and be approved prior to construction. Failure to follow erosion control procedures required by the law could result in a fine up to $1,000. Willful noncompliance is considered a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment not to exceed 90 days, or by fine not to exceed $5,000 or both. An injunction to stop construction may be issued.

Contact the Land Quality Section of the N.C. Department of Environment, Health and Natural Resources at 919.571.4700 for more information on state requirements.

Commercial jobs require site review and approval. Please contact Janet Batten-Holland, Assistant Planning & Development Services Director at 252.399.2215.