This position is responsible for the management and oversight of the City’s communications, citizen outreach and public involvement efforts and assists with the overall administration of city operations.
· Manages overall operations in Planning & Development, Community Development, Downtown Development, Human Resources (which includes personnel, risk management, workers’ compensation, general liability and health services), Human Relations, Public Affairs and Administration;
· Directs and supervises personnel and resources; assigns, supervises, evaluates, disciplines, and promotes personnel in assigned departments;
· Monitors and reviews daily operations to assure conformity with department goals and community interests;
· Provides staff development, training and teambuilding;
· Responsible for budget development and administration;
· Coordinates the city’s legislative program in conjunction with the NC League of Municipalities and other agencies/organizations; coordinates the city’s Federal and State legislative agendas.
· Represents the city on various committees, task forces and boards;
· Facilitates citizen/local government interaction and community involvement;
· Meets with and maintains productive working relationships with community representatives, the media and citizens groups;
· Leads multi-department projects and initiatives;
· Performs a broad range of other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the City Manager.
The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects. The work is typically performed in an office.
Minimum Requirements and Experience (Including Licenses):
Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
Knowledge of city policies and procedures and federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Knowledge of budget analysis and program evaluation.
Knowledge of grant writing and administration.
Knowledge of state and federal laws as they relate to municipal government.
Skill in the operation of computers and other standard office equipment.
Skill in planning, organization, and decision making.
Skill in the supervision of personnel.
Skill in public speaking, public relations and interpersonal relations.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in individual and team development and leadership development.
B.S. degree in related field and experience in public relations required.
Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.