This position assists the City Manager with the overall operation of City government and is directly responsible for the management and oversight of all Electric, Natural Gas, Broadband, and Facility Services operations.
· Directs and supervises all assigned personnel and resources of twelve divisions; assigns, supervises, evaluates, disciplines, and promotes personnel. Responsible for a total staff of 140 FTE.
· Develops and oversees the administration of the operating and capital budgets for three separate funds: Electric, Natural Gas, and Broadband. Responsible for total combined budgets of over $175 million.
· Develops and recommends rate structures for three separate utilities.
· Represents the City on the North Carolina Eastern Municipal Power Agency (NCEMPA) Board of Commissioners, serving as an Alternate Commissioner.
· Communicates, negotiates, and interacts with Electricies of North Carolina, Inc. which provides the staffing and management of NCEMPA.
· Develops, implements, and manages the annual natural gas hedging program for procurement of future supplies of natural gas.
· Negotiates contracts with suppliers of commodities, entertainment content, and services to be resold to customers.
· Negotiates contracts with large industrial customers for services and utilities provided.
· Develops and maintains relationships with Key Account customers.
· Develops, administers, monitors and updates master plans for three separate utilities.
· Advises the City Manager, City Attorney, and elected officials on matters pertaining to Electric, Natural Gas, and Broadband operations.
· Represents the city government at public and private events.
· Maintains and promotes communication within the divisions through meetings and other contacts.
· Maintains and promotes communication between assigned divisions and all other departments and divisions within the organization.
· Ensures excellent customer service and communications are provided to internal and external customers.
· Monitors and reviews daily operations to assure conformity with City Council’s goals and community interests.
· Serves on the City’s Leadership and Managers Teams.
· Attends meetings of the governing body.
· Oversees the maintenance of all department records.
· Formulates and implements policies, procedures, and directives.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, and climbs ladders. The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, and occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
Minimum Requirements and Experience (Including Licenses):
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipally owned and operated electric, natural gas, and broadband utilities.
· Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations relating to municipal utility operations and administration.
· Knowledge and general understanding of the operations of electric distribution networks, natural gas distribution networks, and fiber optic telecommunication networks.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal administration in North Carolina.
· Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
· Skill in planning, organization, and decision making.
· Skill in the supervision of personnel.
· Skill in public speaking and public relations.
· Skill in oral and written communication.
· Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
· Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the divisions in order to direct and coordinate work within and among the divisions, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
· Skill in the operation of computers and other standard office equipment.
· Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.